Wednesday, February 23, 2011


Mein Gott, hilf mir diese tödliche Liebe zu überleben (translated, means Dear God, help me to survive this fatal love)
Original-1990...Redone 2009
Dmitri Vrubel
East Side Gallery

I was in Germany last summer and was able to see the Berlin wall first hand. I really did not know much about it and had no idea what to expect. It was awesome to see that the remains of the wall have been turned into one big art piece all with dedicated to basically an anticommunism theme. I thought that this piece was so striking. I found out that it was inspired by the kiss the two Communist leaders had in 1979 during the celebration of the 30 years of the GDR. They are portrayed as having a homosexual affair by the artist, which would have been unacceptable to communists. In fact, under the reign of Joseph Stalin men who were known to be homosexual could have faced up to 5 years in prison.



No comments:

Post a Comment