Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mom's Foot Blue and Orange


This painting is called "Mom's Foot Blue and Orange" by Sue Williams in 1997. This painting's medium is oil and synthetic polymer paint on canvas. The painting is 8'2" x 9'. This painter uses a lot of sexual motifs in her paintings with a cartoon feeling. In the painting there are big toes popping out in floppy blue and orange shapes. When I first looked at the painting I had no clue what the painting was about. When I read the title I was taken back that there are suppose to be a foot in the picture. I don't see the foot. I do like how it looks cartoon like and that the strokes are flowing and not structured. I like the complementary colors that she used and stuck with only those two colors. I am not sure if I like this painting or not. I picked it because I wanted to see what other people thought of it and I was intrigued by the title. The artist used displaced sexual motifs such as spiky heels, pointy shoes, big toes, and pudendalike feet. This is a very interesting painting. The artist's inspiration came from Don Martin's magazine called Mad Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment