Monday, April 4, 2011

the phases of the moon


the phases of the night-max ernst-1946-oil on canvas


I actually really liked this painting even though the artist is part of the Dada era. I really hate most of the work from that time but this painting really stuck out to me as something I would like for myself. you see the moon in the sky with what seems to be an animal in the center of it and the moon in the corner of the painting too with a sort of face. there is also an owl which one can associate with the night. the door doesnt really belong but i think it represents our dreams and how we travel to other worlds when we dream. perhaps this is where the artist ended up. theere seems to be an equation at the bottem by the owl though I cant really figure out what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment